Monday, November 16, 2009

The Cave of the Supreme Powers.

Today was a National Holiday in Mexico and we decided to check out an historical site called, La Cueva del Tabaco aka The Cave of Supreme Powers. I'm not sure what we expected to find there, but I was secretly hoping to see some of my childhood super heroes. Dang, that was the Justice League NOT the Supreme Powers. I should have known that I wouldn't find Aquaman in the desert. And I digress...

As per mexconnect.com,
In Viesca, in 1864, [President Benito] Juárez, a guest in General Jesús González Herrera's home at number 19, Hidalgo street, was introduced to the patriotic Mexicans who would soon become the official guardians of the federal archives which Juárez was carrying with him. The archives were hidden for several years in a cave, then known as La Cueva del Tabaco (Tobacco Cave), but now renamed La Cueva de los Supremos Poderes (The Cave of the Supreme Powers), before being restored to the nation in 1867 after the French left and Maximilian was executed. The cave is about 12 kilometers east of Matamoros. While there is little to see there today, this important event in national history is one rightfully remembered by all Mexicans and the entrance to the cave is via an impressive, modern, stone stairway.

Because I didn't take any wrong turns this time, we made it in 30 minutes! Micah found a way to sleep despite Josh's loud protest against car seats.
Cueva del Tabaco

Dana snagged this image on the way to the cave. Love the road.
Cueva del Tabaco

Dana also grabbed this shot as I pushed on to park so I could extract Josh asap. (Dana is shooting way more now and will be inheriting a well used Canon 20D this Christmas...which means one thing for me...)
Cueva del Tabaco

The kids hustled up the stairs to the cave entrance. I had to slow them down to get a shot.
Cueva del Tabaco

Not much of an entrance but we decided to push on inside. It was tight, dark and smelly. We lasted 30 seconds and then got out. Apparently, the caves run the length of the mountain. However, we weren't about to confirm that.
Cueva del Tabaco

Lots of rocks with Mexican flag colours.
Cueva del Tabaco

And some more. (This is an HDR photo. I took 3 shots at different exposures to get this look)
Cueva del Tabaco

Eva climbed up the mountain and struck this pose.
Cueva del Tabaco

Micah's turn. I love the smile.
Cueva del Tabaco

The kids and I stopped here and took this pic of Mom and Josh down below.
Cueva del Tabaco

We climbed back down and the kids found this massive boulder. Micah was a little nervous up there.
Cueva del Tabaco

Check out his eyes in this photo. That is some serious concern.
Cueva del Tabaco

Watching the sun dive from this old abandon road.
Cueva del Tabaco

The van gets into the blog this week. We put it through its paces this week and it still looks good.
Cueva del Tabaco

Eva and Micah doing their best to look mean.
Cueva del Tabaco

They couldn't hold it though.
Cueva del Tabaco

I brought my strobes and umbrella to try some outdoor lighting. This shot isn't good (D and J still look great) but the cool thing was that Eva was holding the umbrella and Micah was holing my flash while I made this image. We'll work on it and come up with something better next time but it's awesome having assistants.
Cueva del Tabaco

Another HDR image on the way home.
Cueva del Tabaco

What a nice way to end the day. Another beautiful Torreon sunset.
Cueva del Tabaco

3 comments:

Lou and Marilyn Sawchenko said...

All the photos on your blog are absolutely amazing! It is so much fun to see your beautiful photos and beautiful family!

Louise Chapman said...

Another fun family trip! Lovely assistants you have:) Great photos.

Unknown said...

Guy. I'm behind so I'm just checking out these posts now. Believe me when I say your shots are FREAKING AMAZING!!! That last one literally made me gasp. You are getting REALLY GOOD! You are gifted, my friend. My other fave is the one of Micah and Eva with their backs to the camera facing the sunset. So good!!!